Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Well, the new year is upon us along with its resolutions and sparkling new-ness. I, for one, am excited to be at a crossroads. Technically, I'm currently unemployed and, due to a minor fender-bender, I may be unemployable. Totally scary. The job I had (a great, perfect-fit-for-me job that I'm sorely missing right now) was reduced (to, um, nothing) by the state. The Department of Early Learning gave back all the money for this new program with no idea of when it may be reinstated. Sigh.

So, I applied for another (much lower paying) position within the same organization (because I love it there) and fully expect that this will work out. But for now? Yeah, I'm unemployed. And with my back and neck all kinked up I may end up with light duty which my potential (and former) employer may not be comfortable with.

In spite of this situation, I am finding some things that are making me very happy. One, I may be able to finish my birth doula and child birth educator certifications this year! With our ample tax returns I plan to invest in this line of work that will make me oh-so-happy. I see it as a great opportunity to diversify and do something that I already enjoy, helping mamas and papas on their journey.
Two, my dearest friend, C, has moved backed to the Northwest, surprising and delighting me very much! Let's just say, that girl can keep a secret like no other. I'm so excited to have her back...I'm planning all the very usual and mundane things we can do together that will feel new simply because she's there.

I'm also looking forward to a few resolutions. I actaully dislike resolution-making. I think that's it's often to rigid and then it isn't followed out and then you feel like you failed. Blech. So I took the few days before the new year and assessed what I wanted, not to accomplish but to gain, in this year. My plan is to declutter our house and make it feel more like a home. My friend, E, has a great home that always feels inviting no matter if she was expecting company or not. It isn't a page out of a magazine it is just friendly and warm. That's a great goal...and I get something that I want from meeting it. Another goal is to spend little and save a lot. I want to start using coupons (gasp!) and making every cent work for us. I'm participating in the monthly No-Spend Challenges here.

I have great hopes for this little year. With a new national leader, a few new certifications, and looking forward to a new job, this year will be awesome. I can't wait to share it with good friends and cherished family.

Have a Happy New Year!

No comments: